HPosted by Jack Hale Sat, October 13, 2012 18:10:31
Our favourite architect LC Howitt was responsible for the infrastructure of the postwar City - from the abattoir to the crematorium. He was also charged with repairing and reconstructing the Free Trade Hall after its extensive bombing in WW2. All this and he still found time to design some of Manchester's finest modern buildings including the Law Courts off Bridge St and the sublime Toastrack, Manchester Metropolitan University's Hollings Campus in Fallowfield.
Completed in 1960 its enormous triangular shape was deemed controversial and rather upset the traditionalists! However it captured Mancunian hearts and soon even Pevsner proclaimed it 'a perfect piece of Pop architecture', an accolade confirmed by its subsequent Grade II listing.
Currently the subject of our latest 'Modernists in Residency' projects you can join us as we excavate and celebrate the building, its residents and history on our dedicated TOASTRACK blog...!
HPosted by Jack Hale Fri, July 22, 2011 16:07:36
Hopwood Hall Chapel
Frederick Gibberd, 1965
Rochdale Road, Middleton
Chapel (now deconsecrated). 1964-65. Designed by Frederick Gibberd in association with Reynolds and Scott. Reinforced concrete frame with mauve-coloured concrete block infill. Ring beam exposed at eaves has counterweights for the roof at the corners and is of board-marked, unpainted reinforced concrete; lantern ribs are of exposed, unpainted precast concrete. Copper low-pitched roof; coloured glass to lantern. Narrow, horizontal band of glazing separates the wall from the ring beam above on each side, except the entrance side and the facet opposite. Octagonal plan with low, projecting lean-to entrance to one angle, reached by a pair of flying staircases. Central altar, raised on several steps. Projecting organ gallery with organ facing the entrance (and containing former sacristy behind). Polygonal side chapel with metal railings to right of this. Ceiling has double 'Y' shaped expressed framing, with white triangular infill panels between. Original benches have been removed. Coloured glass in lantern comprises simple rectangles of red, yellow and green and was designed by D Atkins. This centralised chapel reflects the influence of the Liturgical Movement and is related to Gibberd's Liverpool Cathedral in its design
HPosted by Jack Hale Fri, January 21, 2011 09:37:26
Charles Holden, born Bolton 1875
Lead Architect for London Underground in the 1930's
Arnos Grove Station